Tuesday 26 April 2011

Film vs. Book meets Filmoria

The man behind the Filmoria twitter and review site answers a few questions on what he loves about cinema from his love for the Jedi to crying at ET and why his favourite film changes from week to week.
Enjoy!
LE x

1. Have you always been a film buff? Where did your love of films come from?
Well, as far back as I can remember I've been obsessed with film.  One of my earliest memories is of my dad taking me to the local cinema to see Return of the Jedi when I was just 3.  I can remember being utterly transfixed by what was happening on the screen. It wasn't just the bright lights and fast action that thrilled me, but the whole process of story telling on the cinema screen.  I think from that point on I was hooked.  I pestered my parents to be taken back to the cinema at any opportunity.  The list of films I enjoyed as a kid was endless; films like Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Superman, Back To The Future, The Dark Crystal, Romancing The Stone, Explorers, Goonies, The Never Ending Story, Ladyhawke, Labyrinth, Inner Space and The Princess Bride all helped fuel the obsession.  And it only escalated the older I became.  My love of films led me to study film theory at University, which also broadened my tastes.  I still believe there is nothing better than sitting in a cinema watching a great film.

2. What makes a perfect movie for you?
Anything with a great story you can get absolutely lost in.  For me, a perfect movie is less concerned with special effects and action and more concerned with plot and how characters interact.  Escaping into a great story is what makes a perfect movie experience.  

3. What is your favourite film?
Hmmm, that's a tough one and I never know what to say; there are so many great films.  I guess The Godfather would be up there along with Vertigo, Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby, Casablanca, The Big Lebowski, Sunset Boulevard, All About Eve, Star Wars, Warriors, Lord of the Rings and The Dark Knight (plus a whole heap of others) of films I can watch tirelessly over and over again. I don't really have an out and out favourite, but if I had to pick one today, I'd say The Godfather.

4. What film can you quote from continuously?
Loads, Star Wars, The Big Lebowski, Casablanca, Napoleon Dynamite, Anchorman... the list is endless.  

5. What got you into blogging and the world of twitter? And how long did it take to take off?
I guess it was because I had an interest in film and I wanted to share my opinion with anyone else that might be interested to read it.  The internet is a great place to find like-minded people. Not many of my friends are as into film as I am, it's nice to be able to talk about the things you love.  Twitter came hand in hand with blogging.  I guess it's the easiest medium for getting real time news.  I'm not sure how you would class something as "taking off" but the immediate response for the site was pretty terrific and I've had some really nice feedback.  It's very humbling to know so many people like it. 

6. What film can make a grown man cry?
I think the first film I can remember crying at was E.T.  The bit where E.T says to Elliot "I'll be right here" gets me every time.  the end of Turner and Hooch caused a few waterworks.  Hmmm, what else... oh, yes, the horse Artax in the swamp from The Never Ending Story.  For some reason I also remember crying at a film called The Boy Who Could Fly, but I can't remember why.  Million Dollar Baby as well.  Oh, the end of It's a Wonderful Life.  Oh, and the flashback scene in Bill Murray's Scrooged where the kid gets given a pound of meat for Christmas and all he wants is a choo choo train - to quote the film... "Niagara Falls"

7. Is there a question you would love to be asked but never are?
If you could adapt any book into a film, what would you choose?  Either The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by GW Dahlquist, Un Lun Dun by China Mieville or The Playmaker by Thomas Keneally.  I'd also like someone to have another crack at the His Dark Materials Trilogy after Chris Weitz's attempt at The Golden Compass, which wasn't good (in my opinion).

8. What is the funniest film ever made?
Airplane 

Now for some quick fire questions...
black and white/colour films?  Black and White
Spielberg/kubrick? Kubrick
Drama/Horror? Drama
Best film of the year so far..?  Black Swan
And looking to the rest of the year, what film are you most looking forward to in 2011?
The Tree of Life
My Dog Tulip
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II
Captain America
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
The Skin I Live In
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Melancholia
Adventures of Tin Tin: The Secret of the Unicorn
Hugo Cabret

No comments:

Post a Comment