Monday 14 February 2011

Musicals - one for every occasion

I have phases with my DVDs where I will stick to the same genre for a while. There will be a few weeks where all I want is comedy, then all I want is horror, then foreign - you get the point. My most recent has been the fab musicals which has leaked over into my Spotify account. As those who know me are well aware - once a musical gets going it's hard to shut me the hell up. I just love it. Whether it's the silliness of Hairspray guaranteed to make you smile, the power and tragic romance of Phantom of the Opera (which started my Gerard Butler obsession), the powerhouse performance of Wicked or just the brilliant ridiculousness of Glee, there is something for everyone.

Hugh Jackman and Beyonce do a medley at the 2009 Oscars - brill!

My Top 5 Musical films:
  • Phantom of the Opera (Disfigured phantom haunts a theatre from the depths of the basement and channels his genius through the voice of Christine but then decides she should fall in love with him too. Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler are intoxicating)
  • West Side Story (the modern day musical take on the age old tale of Romeo and Juliet set in New York - Still brilliant with a young Natalie Wood among others)
  • Dreamgirls (Jennifer Hudson stole the show from the fab Beyonce - who saw that coming?!)
  • The Wizard of Oz (You just don't get better than Judy Garland singing Somewhere over the Rainbow so don't even bother trying!)
  • Fiddler on the Roof (The timeless If I Were a Rich Man before Gwen Stefani got her hands on it. Lost count of how many times I've seen this film but it still kills me when Hodel sings to her father before getting on a train into the unknown....) Beautiful.
The musical is back!

So enjoy,

LE xx

No comments:

Post a Comment